- Software Development
- Writing code since the mid-eighties. Self taught 65c02 assembly, Basic, Fortran, Pascal, C, C++, Objective C, Perl, Swift. Use Swift for iOS development, as well as server side (Kitura and Vapor). One app available on iTunes Store, a second in development.
- System Administration
- Set up and install operating systems on multiuser platforms, including Sun, SGI, and Linux. Design and implement backup strategies, design and implement firewall strategies, design and set up multi-user email solutions. Troubleshoot networking and throughput issues, help design and implement distributed home directory and software distribution strategies.
- Database Design & Management
- Design and implement databases to manage software change requests, manage software deltas, produce supporting documentation for change board review.
- Content Production
- Video production, both documentary style and single camera style for training. All aspects from writing, production, asset creation, direction, performance and post production.
- Customer & Schedule Sensitive
- Always customer focused. Very happy when my creations are used in some way.
- Shoot stereo with a vintage slide camera, experimenting with tintype using a small Graflex. Enjoy creative writing, model making, and tailoring.
- iPhone/Messages App, written originally in Swift 3, updated through 4 and 5. Firmly adhered to MVC/OOP design principals. Code available for review on github, https://github.com/rhinnen/interject2
- iPhone game based on my experiences in the film industry. Collect and trade a crew to make movies without going broke. Currently focusing on the model aspect. Swift 5.
- Python utility that helps me create ebooks. Generates the base structure for an ebook. Code available for review on github, https://github.com/rhinnen/epubHelper
- Shake Plugins
- Shake was a popular compositing package with a robust programming language which only lacked loop functionality. I wrote image processing nodes to support production, sometimes to simplify complex image processing tasks, sometimes to create a standardized look for a production. I took feedback from artists and production, focused on clear UI options and clean code.
- Shake Scripts
- When Shake was first available, it didn’t have a user interface, and I wrote full shot composites. I focused on creating scripts that adhered to an object oriented paradigm, so that the scripts would be easy to modify when changes were required.
- Backup Manager
- I wrote a web based application using C and a cgi library. The purpose was to track backups, track user requests to backup or restore, and track locations of shots on system. Data was stored in an SQL database. Code was eventually handed over to become a full-fledged asset tracking system.
- An early multiprocessing computer experiment at the Jet Propulsion Labs. Multiple processors were synchronized by a master program, which allowed early parallel computing. The master program coordinated the slaves data, as well as delivered the code they would execute. Each slave would process its data packet, and return to the master for more instruction. The project ran 68000 cpus, using C. I learned how to write master and slave programs, and experimented with parallel processing using image data.
Create and deliver training material. Arrange and coordinate training, as well as hands on training of new hires. Propose new delivery mechanisms for training materials, generate video training material, write and produce short humorous videos for customer education. Write tools to support internal staff.
Responsible for providing technical support for the Cloud Sites product. Troubleshoot technical issues for clients, providing solutions when possible or escalating to appropriate teams. Provide timely customer support in an enthusiastic manner. Provide technical support and training for my team when they need assistance. Help maintain customer facing and internal documentation, write new documents as required. Write several small command-line utilities that interacted with MySQL in Python for support staff.
Set supervise greenscreen shoots for commercials. Comp and deliver shots on a tight deadline with minimal support or assets.
Interview and recommend candidates for hire, build a compositing team for Péle. Manage color pipeline, establish color grade standards for sequences. Establish technical standards for shot delivery that support client and facility needs, create standardized comp treatments for grain and color. Manage a small team of compositors, assign shots, provide support to cg artists, ensure quality and look standards, support the vfx supervisor’s vision, create new looks to support the film, provide bidding assistance to the producer. Interact with the Roto Dept. requesting assistance and QCing their work. Interact with the IT Dept. to manage technical delivery standards. Used studio scale tools to generate images and charts for client facing and internal deliveries.
Cr Labs is small startup focused on conversion and stereo services. Founded upon an automated 2d-3d algorithm I created, our process involved minimal rotoscoping and no clean plate requirements. This was packaged into a set of scripts and procedures that are easily teachable.
Duties include dealing with clients on a daily basis to ascertain needs and deliver stereo content, supervise stereographers generating stereo images from 2d footage, create and manage the technical pipeline that makes this possible, interact with vendors overseas for roto support, write tools in a variety of languages to support the pipeline, provide training for local stereographers and design educational programs.
Also responsible for IT systems support, setup the outward facing email server, website, upgraded machines, designed and implemented networking schemes, configured and installed software for user machines and servers.
Develop stereo techniques and pipeline to leverage roto talent in Goa Inda, supervise stereo conversion, taught our techniques to Reliance Mediaworks in India. Interact with clients, provide light technical support for the US division, including Windows 7 Server Administration.
Develop code (C & Shake) to integrate Shake into the Imageworks proprietary pipeline, including algorithmic input/output macros to support facility naming/color standards. Duties include generating lighting rigs, modify shaders, integrate fx elements, generate lit elements and composite them into finished shots, match plate lighting, generate stereo image passes to match finaled shots.
Assist in development of in-house compositing tools, providing QC and functionality specifications to the dev team. Write tools to integrate Shake into a proprietary pipeline (Python, Shake), lookdev select sequences of Shark Tale, create standardized treatments and procedures for sequence-wide shot management, code to support pipeline processes and standardized looks. Create and present compositing classes for a studio-wide audience.
Traveled across the United States and Japan to provide Shake training to resellers, other instructors, and facilities who had a training contract with Apple. Created and delivered compositing training in Shake to UCLA and USC.
Generate specifications and documents regarding a compositing pipeline overhaul, including a proprietary compositing package to be used as a replacement for Cineon. Assist with UI design, operational specifications for the compositing package.
Experience in all phases of digital production, from film-in to film-out. Manage compositing teams (up to 30 people). Teach compositing throughout the facility. Develop temporal grain reduction/automated dirt removal techniques. Involved in digital color management for the facility.
Work with a team to establish file structure and naming conventions for facility asset management. Lead the in-house initiative to replace existing compositing pipeline with Shake, maintaining strong connections with the developers to support the transition. Initiate a floating point compositing pipeline to maintain color integrity. Champion procedural compositing techniques to maximize re-usability of looks in the facility. Wrote image processing algorithms to provide cohesive looks across the facility.
Handle archiving & backup, managing tape assets both scanned and user generated assets. Design and implement the first DQI Intranet to track assets and facilitate user requests for service. Set up email in-house, along with routing to the Internet and firewall strategies. Implement remote networking configurations to support geographically separate teams during production, allowing remote teams to access facility assets. Develop a web based tool to take data management requests from artists, track assets and communicate data management status using cgi-bin, C and MySQL.
Supply technical support to computer users on campus. Design and implement the Help Desk Website to support student and faculty IT needs. Involved in implementing slip and ppp connections for students and faculty at the university level.
IT support for a small team of geologists involved in processing satellite image data, both on and off-site. Set up networks, design and implement backup procedures, provide manage a network of Sun and linux machines. Connect the facility to the Internet.
Design and implement databases to track software changes and manage system interactions for spacecraft control. Use structured and SQL databases, program interfaces using dBase & perl. Design and generate reports, interact with clients (Software Change Committees). Sysad a small network of computers, install and manage software on Sun computers, PC’s and Macs. Work on Voyager, Galileo, Mars Observer and Craf/Cassini.
Intercept and translate Russian military communications. Learn Russian and the operations of sophisticated communications equipment. Supervise a small team tasked with intercepting encrypted communications.
Design, prepare & deliver a 36 hour, for-credit class. Emphasis placed on the math and mechanics of compositing, with real world examples.